Thursday, September 16, 2010

Record your Yourth - what happened after high school...


So after I got into the college of my dreams, I spent that summer working as many hours as I could and saving as many pennies as I could.  I left for Franklin in the fall with much anticipation and excitement!!!

I met one of my best friends that first week at FC.  Like the first night or two she sat outside of her dorm room SOBBING on the phone to her boyfriend...who was like 20 minutes away.  I know I walked passed her, rolled my eyes and thought not nice thoughts.  Within just days though I got to know her much better and we became very close! 

The rest of the year was filled with friends and classes and working - I worked all the way through college and still left with loan debt!  I worked part-time in the campus bookstore and did some volunteer work with the theater department (and after that year - ended up being the theater house manager for the next three years).

I didn't make it home often - the drive was only about an hour and fifteen minutes but I didn't have a car of my own.  If I wanted to get home, I had to have my parents come get me or hitch a ride with someone else headed that way.  I was lucky that there were a few other people from my area that were at FC and could hitch a ride if needed.

I've often told people (and still do say) that you couldn't have paid me to go to another school.  Purdue University is just 1/2 hour from my house...a nice large state school that probably would have left me with a bit less loan debt at graduation but not my cup of tea!  My graduating class at FC was actually smaller than my graduating class from high school - it was perfect!  I knew most of my classmates and many of the upperclassmen in just a few weeks time.  It was such a "family" to me and I really enjoyed that aspect of school. 

I graduated from FC with a BA in Journalism...  I left FC and didn't go into the field though.  It is something that no one can take away from me and an experience that totally shaped my life and I wouldn't change any of that for any reason. 

This is my fifteenth (and final!) post with Mommy's Piggy Tales recording my memories in just 15 weeks. If you're interested in doing the same for yourself, swing by her place to check it out! She will be starting a new session soon!

Click here to read my post from last week, where my twelfth grade finished up my high school years quite nicely.

3 comments:

  1. College was such a wonderful experience for me too! I'm glad to read about your experience, and that you were at the right school for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went to a small college, too, and it was worth it! My husband went to a large state school, and he felt like he didn't get a very good education.

    If you'd like to write more detailed posts about life after high school, I'll be guest hosting "Young Adult Years" on Mommy's Piggy Tales starting on Monday, October 11. We'll write for six weeks about things like travel, college, jobs, our first home away from home...I hope you'll join us! Just email me at lemondroppie(at)gmail(dot)com to sign up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you really enjoyed your college experience. I prefer a smaller home-town feel myself. I wanted to go into Journalism as well, but switched my 3rd year and went into Elem. Education instead after working in the inner-city.

    ReplyDelete